Sunday, December 09, 2007

What is a Best Friend?

My son asked me the other day, “Why is Jim your best friend?”

I fumbled and stumbled and came up with a couple of whimsy answers, “Because I do everything he says and because we have a lot in common.” The first answer, meant to be a joke, is far from the truth. The second answer is not really true either.

Although we enjoy several things in common, there are many things that we don’t have in common. We both like the Sweet Adelines, we both prepare taxes (He is more experienced than I.), and we were Delta Sigma Pi fraternity brothers. I like sports; he doesn’t. I like to eat; he is very careful what he eats. I weigh almost twice his weight. And the beat goes on.

The question started me thinking. I asked Jim, “Why are we best friends?” His answer, “I can tell you things and you won’t repeat them.” In other words, he can trust me. And I feel the same way about him. I trust him like I would trust a brother.

I looked up “What makes a best friend?” on the Internet. Wikipedia states, “Best Friend, someone with whom one shares the strongest friendship.” WordNet defines best friend as the one friend who is closest to you.

Other quotes found in Blogs:
• "A true friend is that rare soul who sees right through you but will see you through."
• “Someone you can count on... someone who won’t judge and someone who gives without wanting in return.”

I found all of these quotes true with our relationship. I am still thinking "What is a Best Friend?" although it doesn’t make a difference if I know or don’t know. I will always love my best friend like a brother.

No comments: