Thursday, December 27, 2007

Mommaw's 2007 Christmas

Bob Jones, Rachel and I enjoyed Christmas Eve Dinner at Mimi's in Mesa with the intention of visiting Mommaw at Springdale West in Mesa. Bob Jones developed a nose-bleed and had to return home.

Rachel and I carpooled from the restaurant to the nursing home. When we arrived in Mommaw's room, she was asleep. She looked very peaceful. Rachel tried to wake her on a couple of occasions but had to shake her before she finally woke up. She told us that she wished that she knew we were coming. I don't know why, there is nothing more that she could do. Teddy (a present Santa had given her) was sleeping next to her on her bed.

Mommaw tends to slip in and out of the present time. She told us that she spent the night with Quincy the other night but that they get up too early. Quincy went to see the Lord several years ago. She introduced me and Rachel as her grandson and granddaughter. On one occason, I left her room to sit across the hall as one of the aides was dressing her roommate to sit in her wheelchair. Mommaw saw me and told Rachel, "There's Charlie Plake across the hall."

After the roommate exited the room, I returned to Mommaw's room. She saw another patient rolling through the hall. She said "There goes Charlie Plake." Then spoke loud enough for the man to hear, "Charlie, I want you to meet my grandson and granddaughter."

It is sad to see Mommaw like this. I remember when she had the memory of an elephant. My dad said that she would argue about what she remembered and usually won. I believe the incident she told us about Quincy actully happened but that it took place several years ago and her brain makes her think that it just happened.

Rachel and I took Mommaw into the conference room to open her presents. We enjoyed our time with her. Often she talked about several of the people that were attended her 90th Birthday Party. I tried to tell her who was in attendance, but my 71-year-old brain had a few problems of its own.

Poor Rachel. She had a hard time keeping Mommaw and me straight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was very sweet for you to write about our visit. You did a great job. I love you.